Day 2 - Sendang Gile & Tiu Kelep Waterfalls

we tune out all the nasty weather
and it's all in front of you
all in front of you and me

San Francisco Street - Sun Rai

Day 2 was spent visiting waterfalls. It was a long drive to get there and towards the end my uncle started to feel a bit unwell. We first arrived at a restaurant to have lunch before making the hike to the waterfalls. My uncle decided to just sit this one out and not go through the hike for us. The restaurant itself has a nice view all around. From one of its viewing platform you could see small cascading waters in a distance. There's also some monkeys in the area.

Our driver / guide handed us to the local guide who would walk with us to the waterfalls. The entrance wasn't far from the restaurant. It started with a walk down which already got in me quite alarmed because that would mean it would be hard to get back. I like to do difficult things first. There were some monkeys as we walked, but I thought they were okay.

It wasn't that difficult to reach the first waterfall, Sendang Gile. Like all waterfalls I've been before in Indonesia, you can get as close as you want and even soak yourself in the pool below. I didn't see anyone doing that on that day though. One reason could be that the water was going hard. It must hurt a lot if you stand directly under it. I did see a foreign tourist taking out his drone. I may sound like an ungrateful Indonesian, but after seeing quite a number of waterfalls in Indonesia, I'm just rarely impressed now. I wonder if waterfall is not my thing.

After staying for awhile we made the longer hike to the other waterfall, Tiu Kelep. My mom and aunt are not young and I did have some worry if they could make it to this waterfall. I guess I underestimated them. The path to Tiu Kelep also involved some stairs, but there's also the getting up and down of rocks, fallen tree trunk, streams, and I'm just glad there's a guide to help us all through it. This waterfall is the most difficult waterfall that I had ever gone to. It's rewarding though because I have to say, the Tiu Kelep waterfall is more impressive. There's already a group of people there having fun and enjoying the water. The waterfall is wider and the pool underneath it was bigger too. When I put my feet on the stream, I like how cool the water was.

After that we made our way back to my uncle. Then we made the long drive back. We stopped by a road in Senggigi that has a warung nearby and sat there waiting for the sunset. A warung is a small Indonesian shop that sells simple stuff and sometime food too. Here the aunt got young coconuts and mom got some mangoes. As the sun went down, I noticed there's a silhouette of a mountain across the sea. I think it's Bali's Gunung Agung. See if you can spot it on this picture below, it's on the right.

After the sun was down, we went for dinner. For pictures from the hike, you can go here.

:) eKa @ 8:55:00 PM •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

back to home

archives.