Columbus' Egg

Do you know what Columbus' egg is? If you do, wow because I didn't know. We started a new level in Japanese class a few weeks ago and the first chapter has a reading with the title コロンブスの卵 or Columbus' egg. None of us in class knew what it was and when sensei explained it to us, I think I kinda got it, but since my Japanese is so bad, I wondered if I truly got it especially when some of the things she said sounded weird to me. This Wikipedia entry matches what I understood her say though. The Wikipedia entry made me wonder how come I never came across this term when I was studying Italian.

When my sensei was explaining the term and asked if there's a similar term in our own language, I wondered if it's similar to the Indonesian phrase, pecah telur. Honestly though I wonder if there's really an Indonesian phrase of pecah telur (breaking the egg), I only ever heard my cousin used it when she's describing something that hasn't happened to us cousins and she wondered who would be first to do it. In our Japanese reading, the term Columbus' egg means something that is deemed easy by everyone like discovering America because people thought it was bound to happen anyway and yet none was able to do it and it was Columbus who did it first. I don't know why the passage was titled this when this term wasn't mentioned a lot. The whole passage was about looking at things differently and changing how you think about something.

After class last week, I wasn't particularly feeling good about class as I often do when I'm doing badly in class and I was thinking how I can't see myself differently. I can list things about me that I think is really cool but it's always the darkness that wins over. Like today. Today is not a particularly good day. This morning I remember thinking I just have a bad feeling about something and true enough or perhaps it's true because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of my negativity, some shitty things happened and it continued up to dinner. As usual I'm spiraling. I want to feel less. I definitely don't want to do tomorrow.

:) eKa @ 8:44:00 PM •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

back to home

archives.