Book 1 - The Luminaries

So I finished book 1 of 2019, The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. Started sometime in January so it took me around 4 months. It is a thick book, but it's pretty good. I wrote before how I enjoyed reading it and I was quite absorbed. Here's the blurb from the back of the book.

It is 1866, and Walter Moody has come to stake his claim in New Zealand's booming gold rush. On the stormy night of his arrival, he stumbles across a tense gathering of 12 local men who have met in secret to discuss a series of unexplained events: a wealthy man has vanished, a prostitute has tried to end her life, and an enormous cache of gold has been discovered in the home of a luckless drunk. Moody is soon drawn into a network of fates and fortunes that is as complex and exquisitely ornate as the night sky.

The author uses star chart and zodiac as the theme that connects all the people. The 12 men are represented by the zodiac and they in some way or another had their paths cross with the people involved in the murder mystery. Me being a Pisces, was quite amused that the Pisces in the story is a chaplain. I have read somewhere before that being a priest matches our temperaments. So anyways, first half of the book talks about how these 12 men were connected to the mystery. Each of the chapter in the first half of the book kinda tells the story from these men's point of view. At times I was thinking that Carrie Mathison in Homeland or any other CIA or FBI agents in other TV series would have a board with the pictures of these people and strings to connect each of them to the mystery to be solved :D It was really that interesting. I didn't build a board, my head just tried to keep up with every side of the story. It was a lot to keep track on, but at around halfway mark of the book, the author kindly provides, by way of Walter Moody, a summary of how the events unfold based on the story of these 12 men.

Then the book starts to take a different progression. Because the men were telling their story that happened in the past, the first half of the book was about things in the past and by the halfway point we're moving forward into the present time. The mystery gets revealed more and more and by this time, the 12 men factor less, except for one Chinese guy, and it's more about the people involved in the mystery. There were shocking revelations and heartbreaks, at least for me. I do have to say, I was expecting things to be explained grounded in science and facts but there are aspect of the explanation that I felt touched the realm of fantasy. It's unscientific and while it's kinda nice and all, I just wasn't feeling this plot line much.

Anyways, I think the second half of the book can be further divided into 2 parts. There is the part that deal with the present time and it kinda has its own conclusion, at which time you kinda can say that that's the end of the story. However after this part, the book has some chapters that goes way more in the past and tells the story about the core people that were involved in the mystery. I guess this part is more for us readers to give us a sense of closure. You know, I am appreciative of authors who try to structure their books uniquely. Just like I'm appreciative if a TV series or movies have a unique timeline. By the way, I think this would make a good TV series. Season 1 of this book could be 12 episodes based on the point of view of the 12 men.

Next in my queue is Milkman by Anna Burns. I haven't started, but the theme seems dark. Hope it's a good read. It's also a Booker Prize winner, so it should be good. I know it's like excluding unknown authors or books, but I just don't have the time and often get torn in a bookstore choosing on what to read so these days I just select prize winning books or the nominees. I don't even go to bookstore anymore. I bought the books online from Kinokuniya and I am appreciative that they use Ninja Van here in Singapore to deliver their books and we can choose designated place / stores to collect it from. Anyways, as always, hope your days are good!

:) eKa @ 9:46:00 PM •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

back to home

archives.